29 May 2013

Thing 67 - The Webby Goes To...

I found"Thing 67" interesting. I also found it frustrating.

What I found frustrating was navigating the list of Webby categories.  For some reason, the sidebar didn't make intuitive sense to me at first and  the middle section was a bit puzzling too.   But once I got past that hindrance, I did find the site worth exploring.  I happened to have both IE and Firefox in use and noticed that navigation was smoother and less jerky using Firefox rather than IE. When I visited the individual websites  in the category, I had no difficulties.

Given the number of choices, the suggestion to first select a type of entry that interests you, narrow down within that type to a category  was good advice. I chose SOCIAL-Education and Discovery and later explored SOCIAL - Experimental and Innovation..

Throughout my exploration, I returned to the thought that there are so many social media platforms/venues/website available now that it is nearly impossible to keep up, let alone  "sift the wheat from the chaff."   The Webby Awards do a commendable job of  doing just that.  Libraries that do creative arts programming, have maker spaces or teen programs might find introducing participants to the Webby Awards site, a catalyst  for generating project or creative ideas of their own.

Education & Discovery

I looked at each of the eight  honorees and was pleased that TED, one of my favorite resources was the People's Voice winner. I'll comment on two.

Learnist 

Learnist reminds me of Pininterest in design, but that is where the similarity ends. Pininterest is more  casual and (ahem) frivolous. The education focus of Learnist means that  students and librarians might find this site a useful one to peruse when looking for material on a particular topic. As with any resource I I would be  careful to make sure that the sources were credible if I were going to use the content.

 Life Online Mirror

I was fascinated by LOM and a little "chilled" by it too.  I can see this being a useful resource in when discussing using social media responsibly and safely, perhaps during library orientation classes.   For  high school and college classes, LOM could also be used to generate discussion about social changes to how we perceive privacy and the use of personal information. I'm considering mentioning LOM to our sociology and political science instructors.


Experimentation & Innovation

As before, I looked at each of the eleven nominees.  The wide variety of  topics here was interesting and for some reason, momentarily disconcerting.  All fit the category well.  I'll comment on two.


The Exquisite Forest

The simplicity of the concept behind this project IMO, is why it is so innovative.  I would use this in library creative arts or  maker spaces activities  or in classroom projects of all kinds.

Amnesty International: Trial by Timeline

This site is absolutely amazing.  I am considering using it in our staff diversity education programTbT certainly is one I would introduce students to who were working on papers or speeches in civics,  history or political science courses.


I had heard of the Webby's but never had any reason to look for and explore the awards. I learned a good deal and may explore the site further to see "what else is there" or to return to to specific sites for my own projects.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the design of the Webby site was difficult for me to navigate at first, too. Not very intuitive for a site honoring excellence in website design and functionality! :)

    I love your idea of using the Webby award recipients as a source for program ideas at the library. I hope you'll find something you can use, too!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. By adding a comment to this blog, you agree to the terms of this comment policy. Please see the comment policy for specifics.